The recommended software on this page falls into two categories; free or free for non-commercial uses and commercial software.
The free software is excellent for home use and learning the basics of image processing.
Once you have mastered the techniques and are able to make money with this software, you will be able to upgrade to the commercial versions of the software with minimal relearning.
Further down the page you will find hardware or services that I have used or found to be interesting and will buy in the future.
Free software (some free only for non-commercial uses):
- GIMP is the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed piece of software for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring. It works on many operating systems, in many languages.
- Ubuntu Studio is a full Linux distribution that includes Gimp and other creative tools that can get you started on a Windows free life.
- GIMPshop is the *shop look alike version of GIMP. For those of you who are used to the interface of a particular commercial photo editing package.
- UFRAW The Unidentified Flying Raw (UFRaw) is a utility to read and manipulate raw images from digital cameras. UFRaw works directly GIMP to provide a seamless solution to editing RAW images.
- irfanview IrfanView is a very fast, small, compact and innovative FREEWARE (for non-commercial use) graphic viewer for Windows 9x/ME/NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista.
- Faststone Offering single and multiple conversion types along with a batch image converter , resizing, and Full Screen image viewer.
- XnView software to view and convert graphics files. Free graphic viewer and photo viewer.
- Paint.NET is free image and photo editing software for computers that run Windows. This is an excelent replacement to Microsoft's Paint program that comes with Windows.
- Noiseware Noiseware Community Edition Standalone is a high-performance noise suppression software tool designed to decrease or eliminate noise from digital photo or scanned images. The Community Edition is free.
- Raw Therapee is a free RAW converter and digital photo processing software.
- tufuse is a command line program that fuses multiple images together.
- tufuse pro is a windows program that fuses multiple images together for exposure or focus blending.
- Picture Window Pro image editing software.
- Focus Magic, which is used by many forensic scientists, according to their web site, "it is the only photo sharpening software that can recover detail."
- Reindeer Graphics makes several image enhancement programs available, Auto Contrast, Blend Exposures and Detail Sharpener are among the many tools they offer.
- PhotoAcute Studio, leading edge tool for improving digital photos.
- Topaz Labs Professional Image and Video Enhancement Software.
- Qimage is 'world renowned batch printing and processing software' that is available in several versions to suit your needs.
- PTGui is panoramic stitching software for Windows and Mac OSX.
- Noiseware is a high-performance noise suppression software tool designed to decrease or eliminate noise from digital photo or scanned images. The Professional Edition and Standard Editions are commercial software.
- SilkyPix is a RAW converter for digital images.
- Noise Ninja image noise reduction.
- Photo Mechanic is a standalone image browser that lets you view your digital photos with convenience and speed.
All Photos on this site Copyright Doug Pearson 1995 - 2018 All Rights Reserved, or Copyright of affiliated partners